Miss the background on what the Love Your Hood Challenge is all about? Check it out here.
What’s one of the best parts of summer? Eating outdoors! Whether it’s a backyard BBQ, a picnic at the park, or s’mores by the campfire, enjoying food outside is just plain fun.
Challenge No. 006:
Food brings people together. And the outdoors is good for the soul. This challenge is about combining both of them and inviting your neighbors to join you for a meal outside!
Here are a few ideas to get you going:
Grab some beer or wine and invite your neighbors over for a drink on the porch. (Did you know we believe in this idea so much we hook up all our real estate clients with “Meet the Neighbor” gift packs?)
Have lots of kids nearby (or adults that love a cool treat)? Grab some ice cream or another fun summer treat and head outdoors to enjoy together.
BBQ in the backyard.
You can’t go wrong with backyard (or rooftop) dining!
Picnic at the park.
Head out to a park and picnic with your neighbors! Denver has a slew of free events, like outdoor concerts and movies, if you want to add some entertainment. Here’s a list of some free events to consider:
- City Park Jazz: Sunday nights June through early August.
- Concerts on the Green: Select Thursday and Saturdays from June to August.
- Movies on the Green: Select Fridays from June to August.
- Movies at Infinity Park: Select Mondays from June to August.
- Civic Center Park Movies: Select Wednesday nights in August.
- Lawn concerts at Clyfford Museum: Select Fridays June through August.
Have a block party.
Want to go all out? Gather your neighbors for a block party! Here are some ways to make it happen:
- Host a block party: If a neighbor hasn’t already started one, consider initiating a party for your block! Head over to Denvergov’s website to get the details on throwing one — yes, you need a permit.
- Denver Days: A program during the first week of August to encourage neighboring through block parties, picnics, and service projects.
- National Night Out: An annual community-building campaign that promotes police-community partnerships and neighborhood camaraderie that happens on the first Tuesday in August.
Share Your Experience
We’d love to see how you rocked this challenge! Snap a photo (or take a video) of you taking on challenge no. 006! Then:
Don’t have a Google account? Not a problem. Email your name, your photo or video, and what you did for this challenge to jen @ loveyourhood.com.
Follow us on Instagram to get inspired by others and allow us to formally recognize you for a job well done!
Miss a challenge? Not a problem! It’s not too late to complete them and enter for a chance to win the grand prize.
- No. 001 – Know Your Neighbor
- No. 002 – Shovel Some Snow
- No. 003 – Be the Village
- No. 004 – Clean the Streets
- No. 005 – Share What You Have
Need a neighbor grid and challenge checklist?